Saturday, June 29, 2013

A NOT so "Chance Encounter"

A short note from Leslie:
We had a NOT so chance encounter with a very special couple from Manila yesterday. It was more like a "Divine Appointment"!
It takes more than passion and energy to run a ministry, it takes wisdom, knowledge and a strategy. We have been facing a variety of situations lately that have us questioning how we can be more effective. I have been pondering what motivates people here and trying to understand how much culture plays a part in what/how we do things. Some of you know me well, you know my heart for respecting the culture of the people we serve. But, I also think we can't use culture as an excuse to do less than excellent!  I often challenge people from many countries to examine our cultural practices and discard what's not biblical, and keep what is healthy and good!
Struggling with a lack of answers, and feeling a bit stagnant, Sonny and I had a random encounter with one of the most brilliant Filipinos we have ever met. This man and his wife are both educated and charming, and have so much experience in government and business. They shared insights to the Filipino mind and culture in a way I've not heard expressed before. Our conversation ranged from livelihood training, business, politics, attitude, motivation and so much more! It helped me gain new perspective and opened my mind to trying some new ideas. We laughed and shared over a lovely late dinner, forgetting the time and just thoroughly enjoying their company! What a blessing (and, I might add, an honor) to meet this couple that has such integrity and grace. I feel refreshed and the world looks a little different this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment