Sunday, April 13, 2014

Another Graduation at the Sewing Center!


What a celebration we had as twenty-five students graduated from the Project Life Sewing Training Center last Friday! Our students are primarily not high school grads and have extremely limited choices for employment. Most are from very poor families and feel little hope when they contemplate the future. We are always so happy that after graduation they can apply for jobs as seamstresses or commercial sewing in factories and support their families.They are happy because they have skills, possibilities for employment and they are growing in relationship with God.
This graduation was very special as we had 8 bargirls and a mamasan complete the course. Some of their stories of how they were lured into their current jobs were sad and shocking. Some were trafficked as teenagers. Many live in a room at the bar when "off-duty". They save all they can to send home to families. We were very proud of these students who may have worked until 4 a.m., but then came to class three days a week! We are happy to report that three of this group are returning home to families soon, and six of them will form a sewing shop and start new lives. The Mamasan has leadership and entrepreneurial skills and wants to teach others to sew so they too can escape damaging lifestyles. We will do all we can to assist them in the future if needed.
Here's an excerpt from one of the girl's testimonies.She first worked in Manila as a teenager then a friend introduced her to working as a bargirl:
"I was working at a bar in Angeles with my sister. We were so scared and my parents didn't know that we're working at a bar and afraid they will disown us if they learn. ...We decided to work there because we only finish elementary (school). We were poor and the eldest of the family so the family depend on us that's why we have to work... When our boss transferred to Olongapo we transferred here too...I saw the Project Life Sewing Center and it was near where we work so we registered for class. ...I'm very thankful because I know how to sew and measure now and it's very uplifting for myself that I can do all this now! I'm very thankful to Project Life that I learn to know God....I can get a decent job in the future and fulfill my dreams for my family. Thank you very much and God bless you!
A big thanks to all of YOU who help support this ministry. We'll share more stories like this in the future!






No comments:

Post a Comment